Photographer Profile ~ Mark Murrmann

Mark Murrmann specializes in documentary-style photography for editorial and commercial clients. He was named one of Lürzer Archives' 200 Best Advertising photographers of 2010/11 and had a portrait of Dead Weather chosen for American Photography 27.

Mark's photos have appeared on dozens of record covers and in publications around the world. He has done commercial work for Jim Beam, Levi's, Nike, and Samsung. He is a regular contributor to Hamburger Eyes and curated the Maximum Rocknroll photo issue (and accompanying exhibit) in 2010.

When not taking pictures, he works on the other side of the desk as Photo Editor at Mother Jones magazine.



"I kind of stumbled on street photography when I was living in Washington, D.C. in the mid-90s. I carried my camera everywhere and snapped some photos while walking to work. It just never occurred to me to do that. And then, looking at the negatives, it of course all made sense. I vaguely knew of photographers like Cartier-Bresson and Brassai."
~ Murrmann ( I'm sure he knows better now!)









Dead Weather:  Alison Mosshart (of The Kills and Discount), Jack White (of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs), Dean Fertita (of Queens of the Stone Age) and Jack Lawrence (of The Raconteurs and The Greenhornes) Great band btw!




"Part of what I love as much as the analog process is just shooting with the M6 (or M4-P), the Leica. All the hokey, borderline-religious fanaticism crap some people spout has a bit of truth to it. When I grab my M6, it’s like an extension of my hand. I don’t have to think about using it, at all. I don’t like shooting street stuff nearly as much with my other cameras, whether they’re film or digital. Other situations, like shooting bands in tricky lighting situations, make shooting with faster cameras more optimal, but in general if I can only bring one camera, it’s my M6."~ Mark Murrmann












No comments:

Post a Comment