Ben Lowy ~ Libya iPhone Photographs

Photojournalist Ben Lowy was in Libya on assignment for 3 weeks in March, traveling between the Rebel stronghold of Bengazi to various front line towns like Ajdabiya, Brega, Ras Lanuf, and Bin Jawad. In between photographing with DSLR’s he made images on his iPhone and brought the news directly to an audience by immediately posting them to his blog. Since featuring this new work, people’s interest has grown exponentially and, he says, “reaffirmed my belief in this new paradigm in journalism. My work these days, like Iraq from Humvee windows and Night Vision Goggles, abstracts of the BP oil spill, Holga panoramics and now this iPhone series, is about creating a visual narrative that looks different from the norm. I’m hoping to capture the audience through the aesthetics, to get them to move closer to the image, and most importantly engage the viewer to examine the content.” [via PDN]



























iSee
These images are a part of a project borne during my travels as a professional photojournalist. For years, I have worked with bulky digital cameras, always mindful of the technical maneuvers from setting the shutter speed and aperture to editing and toning on a computer screen. In the last two years I have discovered that my iPhone has allowed me to capture scenes without feeling that I am once again on the job. To “point and shoot” has been a liberating experience. It has allowed me to rediscover the excitement of seeing imperfections and happy accidents rendered through the lens of my handheld device. I am able to create imagery, edit, and transmit all these images, creating a modern and efficient workflow for the most inefficient of pursuits - self expression. ~ Ben Lowy







See more of Lowy's  iPhone series here

No comments:

Post a Comment